Masturbation Month gives us the perfect opportunity to share some serious, strange and even funny trivia facts about masturbation.
Feel free to add more in the comments below.
- The most damaging myth about masturbation is that it’s a sign something is wrong in your relationship. The fact is that most people masturbate. They masturbate if they’re single, in a bad relationship, or in a great relationship. It has nothing to do with their partners or the quality of their sex life.
- People who masturbate report to have happier marriages (and lives!) than those who refuse to twirl the pearl.
- People who have sex regularly masturbate more often than those who don’t. And married people are more likely to masturbate than people living alone. [National Health & Social Life Survey]
- Can you masturbate too much? The American Psychiatric Association says that unless masturbation is getting in the way of your everyday life (work, friendships, footy) there’s no such thing as too much self love!
- Adult Match Maker’s Under the Covers Sex Survey found that 20% of women admitted to masturbating daily and 45% weekly. [Adult Match Maker “Under the Covers” Survey 2014]
- Both men and women are more likely to experience their first orgasm through masturbation.
- The Kama Sutra, the ancient Indian Hindu sex manual from 400 BC, included masturbation techniques.
- Orgasms from masturbation can strengthen your immune system and for guys it’s thought masturbation can help prevent prostate cancer. So, keep your hand in, it’s good for your health!
- There are absolutely no health risks associated with masturbation (besides a little chafing).
- Masturbation has proven health benefits like stress management, secretion of endorphins & cardiovascular exercise.
- Watching their partner masturbate can be an amazing turn on for most guys.
- A study found that 40% of women prefer masturbation over actual sex.
- Over 75% of women surveyed in Adult Match Maker’s Under the Covers Sex Survey said that they orgasm faster when they masturbate. [Adult Match Maker “Under the Covers” Survey 2014]
- Legend tells us it was the seductress Cleopatra who invented the first vibrator. Rather than being carved from wood or rock, it was a gourd hollowed out and filled with … wait for it … angry bees. There is even record of Julius Caesar giving Cleo an elaborately carved, gold inlaid penis “sculpture.” Don’t worry she had plenty of lube, in 350 BC people were using olive oil!
- A study found that 35% of respondents in a relationship still masturbate weekly compared to 60% who are single. [Durex Sexual Wellbeing Survey]
- Masturbation isn’t only about sex, for many it’s a routine way of relieving stress, clearing your head before work or going to sleep.
- The electric home vibrator was on the market 9 years before the electric vacuum cleaner and 10 years before the electric iron! At least they had their priorities right!
- The Japanese term for female masturbation is “shiko shiko manzuri” which translates to “ten thousands rubs”.
- Contrary to myth (or perhaps wishful thinking) the penis is not lengthened by masturbation.
- One of the first vibrators was a steam-powered device called the “Manipulator”. Obviously not named by a man!
- Ancient Egyptians believed their God Amun masturbated and his seed created civilization.
- Human aren’t the only ones to itch the ditch – monkeys, walruses and deer have all been documented pleasuring themselves. Scientists have even observed female apes using sticks for added pleasure.
- All orgasms are not created equally. It’s a little known fact that the makeup of semen is different when you masturbate to when you have sex.
- Masturbating at night can help you sleep by lowering blood pressure and easing stress and tension. So if you’re having trouble sleeping, put those fingers to work!
- Based on the findings of our survey, 19,840 Aussies rubbed one out in the time it took you to read this article! [Adult Match Maker “Under the Covers” Survey 2014]
The only problem with masturbation is there’s no one to cuddle with afterwards!
This article has been re-blogged from Adult Match Maker
To celebrate National Masturbation Month, Taboo Radio (in conjunction with Lovehoney Australia) are giving away one Lovehoney Desire Luxury USB Rechargeable Remote Control Love Egg Vibrator (valued at $109.95) and one Lovehoney Sqweel XT for Men USB Rechargeable Oral Sex Simulator (values at $99.95).